When, within the space of a few days, in the thawing Midwest,a wild cougar appears and people are rattled in their beds by an earthquake, it can be safely be said that we're living in interesting times. Need more proof?
- When the Cubs and Sox have near-identical records -- and sit at or near the top of their respective divisions;
- When an African American man and a white woman are vying for the presidential nomination of a major party;
- When the announcement of dismal financial results is deemed by the markets to be good news because the results aren't as dismal as they could have been;
- When a baby with two faces is born,
- And a woman survives a gunshot between the eyes;
- When a man, living with a transplanted heart, kills himself in the same way as the heart donor did;
- When the Pope meets abuse victims face to face,
- A praying passenger is removed from a commercial flight,
- And Jimmy Carter meets with leaders of Hamas;
- When a blind woman makes a hole in one
- And a deaf player scores in the NBA,
well, then, my friends, these are interesting times, indeed.
Chag Sameach/Happy Passover and a season of liberation to one and all --